So you are moving …. Here are some useful tips you can use to ensure that you move is painless and easy.
1.Pack an overnight bag containing all the essentials
2.Pack the items you will need FIRST in a clear plastic bin.
3. Wrap your breakables (dishes, glasses, etc.) in clothing to save on bubble wrap
4. For extra padding, pack your glasses and stemware in clean socks.
5. In addition to labelling what’s in your boxes, add what room they’ll be going into, as well.
6. If you can, show up to your new home before the move and pre-clean the bathroom and kitchen.
7. Place an extra cotton pad or ball into your powder cosmetics to keep them from breaking.
8. Cover the openings of your toiletries with saran wrap, then put the tops back on.
9. Pack plates vertically, like records. They’ll be less likely to break.
10. Keep sandwich bags handy for holding any small parts of things you have to take apart, like curtain rods or mounted flat-screen TVs.
11. Take a photo of how your electronics are connected so you can remember how and where all the wires go.
12. Cut down on boxes by making all of your baskets, laundry bins, hampers, and suitcases work for you.
13. The fastest way to pack a closet.
14. Vacuum seal your out-of-season clothing.
15. Along with food and alcohol, give your friends who help you move first dibs on anything you originally planned to sell or donate.
16. Make sure everything is completely packed before your friends show up to help you move.
17. Enlist the color-coding system.
18. Make a detailed corresponding list of what’s in each box by number. This makes it easier to make sure you didn’t forget any boxes, or god forbid, someone stole one. AND, if there’s anything valuable in there, you won’t be broadcasting it to the world by writing it down right there on the box.
19. If you’re renting, take photos of your cleaned-out old home and your new home before moving in.
20. Fill the nail holes in your previous home with a bar of soap.
21. Change your address at least two weeks prior to moving.
22. Arrange for a charity organization to come pick up the items you don’t want at least a week or two before moving.
23. Make your last grocery trip two weeks prior to moving.
24. For same-city moves, hire a sitter for the children and pets.
25. Remember to defrost your refrigerator at least a day before moving and wipe up any liquid.